Biala Special School
- Biala Special School is an independent school providing services for students who are intellectually/physically challenged including autism, down syndrome and cerebral palsy.
- The school is situated in Ballina and provides a range of specialist services for students from 4 years through to post school options programs. The school encompasses the Brunswick Heads, Mullumbimby, Byron Bay, Lismore, Woodburn and Ballina areas.
- Biala Special School caters for children with moderate through to severe degrees of impairment.
- Biala Special School has been a major service provider for students with special needs in the Far North Coast since it was established in 1969.
- It has operated from its present site since 1973 and is currently being funded by State and Federal Government Departments and also by generous community donations and support.
- Classrooms: Primary to Year 10
- Multipurpose Sensory Room
- Communication Room
- Computer Room
- Life Skills Room
- Hydrotherapy Pool
- Kitchen Facilities
- Indoor General Learning Area
- Outdoor (Undercover) General Learning Area
- Expansive Grounds
- A large variety of modified bicycles
- School Bus allowing for out of school excursions and activities
Extra Curricular Activities
The students also have the opportunity to access other community services, and be involved in a wide range of experiences on a regular basis. These include:
- Work Experience
- Horseriding (RDA – Riding for the Disabled)
- Local Excursions – bush and beach walks, BBQ’s etc
- Inclusion in local schools visiting performances
- Sporting Activities e.g. Ten Pin Bowling
- Community Shopping
- Participating in Community Events eg. Ballina Alive Festival, Local Area Show Exhibitions
- Library Program
- Transitioning into Post School Services